Wednesday, July 4, 2007

With Sympathy

I don't make very many sympathy cards - and that's a good thing. But when the need arises, I want to create something that has soft elegance. Baroque Motifs came to my rescue... have I told you yet how great this new set is?! I made this for a friend (and customer) who lost her sister-in-law recently.

I used the now-retired Warmest Regards hostess set because it's the only stamp I had with this type of sentiment on it. I really must remedy that situation... hmmm, I know just where to look - my shiny (but already well-thumbed through) new catalog! I also used the still-current Touch of Nature set and watercolored the flowers. The Baroque Motif swirl was stamped in Versamark and then I sponged Close to Cocoa over the edges of everything to give it a worn look. I really like to sponge when I'd rather not have the hard lines that the "direct to paper" technique causes (that's when you hold the stamp pad upside-down and rub it over the edges of your cardstock). Sponging creates a softer look. For interest, I also paper-pierced a row below the strip - no sewing this time! I then made a matching envelope with the same swirl and also sponged those edges too. For color reference (I don't know how these photos look on everyone else's computers!) the base card is Rose Red with a Confetti Cream strip.

Making homemade cards is not only incredibly enjoyable, but it serves a practical purpose as well. It is so rewarding to be able to make something with your own hands to send to someone in need of a hug. Beats those sterile store-bought cards ANY DAY. Wouldn't you agree?

No comments: